Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Suchitoto Casa






This is where I live! It's been sort of an overcast day as is often the case. Actually it's usually quite sunny for periods of the day, and pretty hot, and then it will rain for an hour or so and the clouds may hang out for a while.
Anyway, this is the courtyard in the center of the hostel portion of the Center. Right now I live in a room off to the right (no. 9), right next to Ariel's number 10 room. I love sitting on the edge of that cistern in the center of the garden and looking up into the clouds at night. Last night the moon was almost full so it was quite peaceful to watch clouds streaming by high up in the night with the sound of dogs barking off in the distance.
The sounds here are a little different than I'm used to in San Salvador. Things actually become quite silent in the night here, whereas in San Salvador there seem to be more dogs barking, music playing, and random slams and bams occurring all the time.

That's all for now. I'm watching Glee with Christy and Ariel. Peace.

*


(Don Lito in the Peace Garden here at the Center)

(Another picture of the peace garden. I took this one from the bench outside our office while I was on the phone with Rosemary, Ogg, and Mom.)

Last story of the night: I returned home not too long ago from walking Christy across town with Ariel. We walked Christy to the home of her host family, or host women, Eva and Rosa. It was quite a beautiful walk, through Suchitoto's town center and then down some backroads into Nueva Suchitoto (there are about 80 rural community's outside Suchitoto proper, one of which is called Nueva Suchitoto).

On our way back we stopped nearby the Center at the house of one of our little skateboarding friend's family and had some pupusas. The women who lives at the pupuseria with her family is named Nuria. She is the aunt of our friends Diego and Miguel (11 and 8 years old respectively), and she told us quite the story of her family's move to Suchitoto from one of the rural community's during the war. Ariel and I were so lucky to be hosted by someone so generous both with her delicious cooking and her story telling.

I am still somewhat on the fence about going to San Salvador tomorrow. I could do some work around here this weekend to help get the museum ready for Sunday, but I really want to see Alicia tomorrow and spend some time with the Salvadoran family we worked with two days a week in Tepecoyo when Alicia and I were students here almost two years ago.

Anyway, time for bed. Peace and Love,

Alex.

1 comment:

  1. YES! Lito in his polkadot rainboots! (He'd pay top dollar for those in the US. So fashionable, he is.) :)

    ReplyDelete