Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Coming Soon

Hey everyone. So it has been a while since I posted and I have many images and stories to relate. However, since returning from my Honduras/NW El Salvador trip on Sunday I have been quite sick. If you ever travel to central america I would advise you to heed the following advice: DO NOT EAT THE CURTIDO. Curtido, by the way, is the chopped cabbage, pepper and carrot mixture one finds at a pupuseria (restuarante or street vendor that sells the stuffed-tortilla food called pupusas). Now I already knew that the large plastic jars they keep curtido in are pretty unsanitary (the same jar is used over and over again, and if a batch of curtido doesn't go eaten for several weeks, well it just stays in the jar); but I just couldn't resist slopping a little curtido on the old pupusa.
Thank God Alicia didn't eat any... Another bright spot related to my sickness is simply that it is a very humbling experience. To live several days where one is so tired and sick that resting and doing the basic duties of living is the sole objective is a pretty enlightening experience. In order to take care of our wider life in humanity on this planet, we need also and from the beginning to take care of ourselves. So goodbye curtido, my strange semi-pickled friend.

Coming soon:
-pictures and stories from the ruins at Copan, Honduras
-reflection on spirituality and the movie No Country for Old Men

For now, I am going to make some pasta and watch "Donde viven los monstruos", or Where the Wild Things Are.

Love,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment